Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rocks, Sand & Water


These last few months have definitely been a steep learning curve and to be honest the magnitude of the work of director in the midst of major life change has at times been overwhelming. As I looked to gain a good perspective on things, a friend of mine shared with me the analogy of rocks, sand and water and it has really helped. Water represents all those urgent things that always come your way as leader and tend to fill your days if you let them: like e-mails and more e-mails. Sand are those necessary things like facilitating the work of others, building good relationships with key people, helping out missios with their current needs, etc. Rocks are the real important priorities. If you fill your jar with water there is no room for the sand and rocks. If you start with the rocks there is still room for the sand and the water. (So if I take a while in answering an e-mail it may be because I haven’t opened them till after lunch :-)
After that conversation I sat down and prayerfully considered what is most important for me right now. I find if I can make progress on one of the rocks each day I feel like I have had a successful day. I try to dedicate my most productive time of day to these things.

The above picture is one we took at the Moeraki Boulders many years ago. They represent my rocks for this year – things I want to spend more time and energy on: helping our family integrate back into life here in NZ, facilitating a process of vision and implementing good systems for our organisation, celebrating 100 years of the foundation of the work in Latin America (Bolivian Indian Mission), and networking with key people.

So what are your rocks this year? Drop me a comment.

No comments: